Thursday, January 10, 2013

I am NOW a mommy to a Type 1 Diabetic 6 yr old!

So my life has been turned upside down since lunch last Friday. My daughter had been constantly drinking and would down a drink in no time, then started getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. We finally decided to get her a dr. appt to see what was going on. Well I decided to google extreme thirst is children....and the only thing that came up was juvenile diabetes. I was thinking I hope that's not what this is but we will see. 
So Friday morning I call and make her an appt for 3:00 that afternoon. Well one of our teachers is a gestational diabetic and I passed her in the hallway and asked if I could borrow her blood sugar checker to see what my daughter's was before she went to lunch. I knew it wouldn't be very accurate, but thought I will have a number before she eats and then they can do it again at the dr. office and compare it. Sadly we didn't make it that far. 
When I checked her at lunch, she was 516! I was a gestational diabetic with my 2nd child, and knew that was a high number, but it didn't dawn on me how high it was till I went and told the school nurse. The look on her face confirmed my fear. I lost it, right there in the middle of the school office! She finally got me settled down enough to call the dr. office back. I told them what was going and and was told get her to the ER now!!!! Of course that got me going all over again. My little girl has a chance of having a lifestyle change and there is nothing I can do about it. When I finally get settled down the 2nd time. I got my things and her things and off we go to the ER. 
I called her daddy on the way there and told him what all was going on. I had mentioned Type 1 diabetes to him the night before, so it wasn't out of the blue. He pulled in right before I did. Once we filled out the initial paperwork, they immediately called back to the ER and told them they had a 6 year old with blood sugar of 516. I knew right then that this is not good. We sat maybe two minutes and were called back. When the Dr. comes in and introduced himself and then started with "She has Type 1 Diabetes." My heart stopped, I couldn't believe my ears. But you didn't test for anything else? Is what I wanted to say...but nothing came out. He said they would start an IV and he would contact our family Dr. to see where she wanted to send us, since the nearest pediatric diabetic Dr. is an hour and a half away. 
Thankfully, my daughter was medically stable enough that we were discharged and told to drive to the Children's Hospital where the closest pediatric diabetic doctors were. That enabled us to go by home, get some clothes, and activities for her to play with cause we didn't know how long we would be there or anything. 
We finally arrived and went through the triage pretty quickly since the hospital we had already visited had sent paperwork and they were anticipating our arrival. She was placed back on IV for fluids and given her 1st insulin shot. She did great not a flinch, nothing. Which made it so much easier on mommy and daddy. We finally got a room upstairs around 9:00 that night. She received another two insulin shots that night followed by dropping too low at 2 a.m. due to the overlapping of the insulin. 
The next day we met with the diabetic educator and a nutritionist who explained some of everything we had to learn. I was so impressed with my baby girl. When it was time for a blood sugar check she would have her finger stuck out and already be pointing to where she wanted her insulin to go in. She tricked a few nurses who couldn't believe she was a newly diagnosed diabetic. That makes for one proud mommy and daddy. Plus it made it much easier on us. 
We had to have 2 days of teaching and they didn't teach on Sunday, so we finished on Monday and came home that night. 
We kept her at home on Tuesday, wanting to make sure we could handle checking her sugar and giving insulin before sending her to school. We had a good day. 
Wednesday was our first day back....all I can say is I am super happy that I work there because I don't know if I could have handled not knowing how she was doing. Thankfully for me she is three doors down the hall. She had a good morning, but dropped before lunch, so we had to check and give a quick snack. The rest of the day went well. Today was pretty much the same as yesterday. She dropped before lunch. I am talking to the Dr. tomorrow about adding a morning snack so she won't get so low before lunch.
This is my new life. She gets checked four to five times a day(right now we are still checking in the middle of the night) and she gets insulin shots four times a day. She is a trooper, she has struggled with it some since coming home, but I know there are going to be good days and bad days, and we will have every kind of emotion possible, but in the end I am extremely thankful that it is something that can be managed!



Post a Comment